Thursday, November 05, 2015

A bit and a bob

I am completing some extensive reading on human sexuality and found 'The Plausibility Problem' to be such a helpful read.

'When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be we must be wanting what, in fact, will not make us happy. Those Divine demands which sound to our natural ears most like those of a despot and least like those of a lover, in fact marshal us where we should want to go if we knew what we wanted' (C S Lewis 'The Problem of Pain' quoted on p.69)

Tim Keller offers an observation about the gay Anglo-Saxon warrior

We are loving Downton.

This asks the question 'Before I die I want to...'

I spoke on a weekend away and someone recommended 'Seeking God's Face' to me which might interest you if you are looking for a new devotional for 2016.

I enjoyed reading the chapter 'How to pray' in this.

Can you find a better ad that personifies consumer idolatry than this ad? I wanted to save this until Christmas but I'm a sharer so enjoy and feel free to use as part of your Christmas day sermons :)

The C of E wins its court case.

Which job should you get with your personality type. Last time I did the test I was an ENFP.

Perry Noble asks the question 'Should women preach?'. We've rather decided that one in the C of E...

Toby's talk on 'Why did Jesus die?' is a very good one.

Someone pointed me to 'Become good soil' which I had a click around on.

We have 'The New Baby Mothers Survival Guide' in our bathroom for Mrs Cooke's perusal.

I note from these book briefs that Kevin de Young and I are both reading 'A Righteous Mind'. To be a little more accurate, he seems to have read it while I fell asleep reading the first chapter. However, I mean to read it which is I suppose a start.......

If you are a Christian leader, I imagine reading this book is never going to do you any harm.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful