Monday, November 16, 2015

Monday musing

I chatted with a friend about our mutual 'blind-spots' and we wondered what they were and who in our life would tell us about them if they observe them in us. We took away much food for thought and it brought to mind the books of Samuel Rima.

My pal's life verse and biblical hero is Acts 9:17.

Tim Keller's 9-11 sermon called Truth, Tears, Anger and Grace is probably worth a re-listen given the events of the weekend.

Sometimes something catches my eye that looks interesting and I then wonder how on earth I can get hold of it if it's not on Amazon?

This post got me wondering about the state of pastoral care in our church and its relationship to growth.

A friend had something encouraging for me today but worried it would stoke my pride so asked if I wanted to know. I said yes and have since been reflecting on pride which is of course pretty much the root of everything that's not good. As C S Lewis observed:

“Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man... It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition is gone, pride is gone.” 

Twice in last two weeks I have come across this Nietzsche quote and the second time was reading this:
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.”
I have so many reflections having taken part in Shared Conversations. Who knows if I will share them here but it was a nice change to chat about the issues face to face rather than the way we usually do.. 

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful